Saturday, March 13, 2010

How to discribe to a non-birder a "Lifer"

Since I began really looking at birds I've had a problem with trying to describe the feeling of seeing a life bird. In the beginning, it was not such a big deal because I didn't really care to share my inexperience. "So you saw a Titmouse?". But now after a few years of seeing the usual suspects, to see a new bird is a little more special. I've tried to share my exhilaration with friends and family but I always get that "he's weird" look.

Well, I'm asking you to help me put into words, for the non-birder, what it feels like for a birder (I'm using birder loosely) to see a life bird. The closest I've been able to come is the second a firework explodes in the air, but that instant last for minutes. I know when I see a new bird (lifer) I'm looking around for someone to tell and point it out!

Anyway, please help me out and leave a comment with your best description of the emotion it causes in us birders to see a lifer!

Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. In a way, it's like seeing the funniest Hallmark card you've ever seen and you want to show it to someone just because you know they'll get a kick out of it, too, because of some shared experience.

    That's not spot-on, but that's as close as I could get without saying it's like seeing a bighorn sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, LIFER is similar to prized game in hunting in a way. Although I have never hunted in my life, I find there are several similarities between going after lifers and trying to hunt more difficult and thus prized game. The basic processes are about the same: A hunter spots, aims at and shoots prey in this case with a rifle or a shotgun. A birder spots, aims at and shoots with a camera or take video or maybe just look through binoculars or a spotting scope to identify. A hunter gets a game animal and a birder gets a lifer. Both hunting and pursuit for lifers require considerable knowledge and experience in the field and trained eyes. Thus far, the requirements for both are identical. So, I have the feeling that ardent birding/pursuit of lifers is a surrogate for our deep-rooted ancient desire to hunt. What do you think? Oh, you also have to explain to non-birders that a lifer is not somebody sentenced to be jailed for life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me ~ seeing a LIFER makes my heart fill with JOY ~ my pulse quickens ~ I feel giddy.... almost like falling in LOVE. Truly ~ not too many experiences can match up to seeing a bird for the very first time :)

    ReplyDelete