Thursday, June 17, 2010

My take on the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill:

I've been watching the House Energy & Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight & Investigations hearing with BP CEO, Tony Hayward on C-SPAN.

First let me state that I have no political affiliation or agenda. I'm just a normal Joe who is tired of all this mess. I think that most people in Washington are really missing the mark. I've spent the last 2 hours listening to our lawmakers on their soapboxes slamming BP with no retort.

Hear me out, I'm not defending BP. They are to blame for this disaster. But I think our representatives and WE are again missing the REAL problem. Don't they remember Exxon? We are always looking to blame someone but, I think, if you really look at this for what it is, WE are to blame.

The root of the problem is really OUR unending thirst for oil and its by-products. BP, EXXON, SHELL and all the other Oil companies are only trying to profit from our insatiable need for oil.

This disaster would have happened even if BP was not drilling. Some other company would be drilling and would try to cut costs in any way they could. The real root of the problem is US. We demand fuels. As long as that demand exists there will be a company that is willing to do whatever it takes to bring that product to market.

Do you think that all the wildlife that are being killed are blaming BP? NO, they are being killed by Humans. We all have to take a little credit for this disaster. Each one of us are contributing to this vicious cycle of selfishness and greed.

So what should I do? Boycott BP? That will do nothing. Remember EXXON? They seem to be doing fine. The only thing I can see that will help end this craziness is to reduce MY requirements of oil and oil products. To use the cleche' : reduce my carbon footprint. Where there is no demand there is no product. I'm not naive enough to believe that this will solve the problem but if we all reduce just a little bit, maybe it will have a little impact. I seem to remember that the U.S. had a population of a little over 307 million as of 2009. If we each can reduce our fuel requirements by one barrel (42 gallons) a year, that would really hit the oil companies where it hurts! 42 gallons (if I can make that leap) is maybe two fill-ups. Combine chores, take mass transit one day a week. It doesn't seem that difficult to save a little on our use of gas.

Since the economy has really hit me hard, I have no money to give to help the effort to try to clean up this mess. I can't travel to the Gulf Coast to volunteer with the clean-up. The only thing I can do is try to reduce my use of fossil fuels and energy in general. It's the least I can do,  to a least try....

Here's a GREAT video from twitter! Very hard to watch but still great!

3 comments:

  1. You hit the nail right on the head.

    This is partial list of the stuff we use everyday made from oil.
    http://www.ranken-energy.com/Products%20from%20Petroleum.htm

    Less than half of a barrel of oil is used for gasoline, more than half of a barrel of oil is used to make everything else we use.

    Changing our driving habits is a start, I also am using reusable shopping bags when I go to the grocery store.

    People jump on the drive less bandwagon because that is the most obvious. If we stopped using so much throw away product/packaging that would help as much or more. I saw an ad on TV tonight - SunChips- is promoting bags that are compostable! I guess I will be buying more SunChips.

    As a wildlife photographer I am sure you do what I do. Pick up trash, plastic bags, bottles, and fishing line (insert other trash items here) when I am out.

    Watching what is taking place in the Gulf hurts me on levels I cannot even fully express. People are loosing their jobs, and way of life.

    We are loosing a part of our ecosystem and the oil leak isn't capped yet. We can help those who need monetary assistance but I think the harm to the Gulf ecosystem can never be fully reversed. In Alaska - even after all these years - since the Exxon incident, even now if they dig down not to far into the ground they uncover oil.

    I am horrified at what is taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I'm not able to watch Tv any longer because this is intolerable. I'm mad about because, like you, I cannot change things by going there.
    But we have to change our behavior for environment, that's sure.
    Here in Europe, we re-use plastic bags for shopping and we take the bus instead of our car when we live in the city. Small initiatives but better than nothing. Personnally, I'm convinced that the train has left the station.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments.

    Finiky, I wish I could write like you. Your points are Excellent! And thank you for the link.

    And Karen, I'm right there with you. Sick of seeing the disaster with little I can do about it. So, we have to change our lifestyles which will help in the only way and may be the only way to avoid or lessen the next disaster!

    ReplyDelete