Monday, April 12, 2010

5 sure fire tips for better Bird photography

Being There
I know this is stating the obvious but if you aren't there, you can't get the shot.... profound! Let me expand on that before you click away from me! Most people that look at my photos say "you must be outside a lot" or "you must have a lot of patience". Well, yes to both statements! Although I call it laziness rather than patience.

I spend a lot of time outside, even in my own backyard. If you are inside watching TV you won't get very many pictures of birds!

The other things that go into being "there" is to be aware of what is around you. This can be anywhere you go. I got a nice picture of a Red-shouldered Hawk while waiting in the parking lot at the mall. I got a Bald Eagle on my way to the gas station. I take my camera with me everywhere I go!


Be Ready
Always have fully charged batteries and a freshly formatted CF or Sans disk. Again, another obvious tip but overlooked by most casual photographers. And, take your camera everywhere! How many times have you said to yourself "I wish I had my camera". If we could predict when there will be a photo op then everybody would be a professional photographer! The key to getting great photos is to do your prep work. Then, when you see that Pileated Woodpecker in the tree 30 feet away, you just need to click!

Use a tripod
This is the one tip that I will always put in any "tips list" I make about photography. It is especially important with bird photography since most of the time you will probably be using the longest/heaviest lens in your bag. My camera is very rarely off a tripod or monopod.

I've heard of and seen many photos that where taken by hand-holding a camera. Most have been great photos and the photographers are very pleased and proud to tell me they were handheld shots. As well they should be! But most people don't share the missed/blurry shots and boast that they handheld for this blur!

I know my limitations and would not go out in the field without a tripod or monopod. I would rather miss a shot entirely than to have a blurry reminder of what might have been! The other benefit of a tripod; you don't have to carry that heavy camera/lens all day long! I will normally find a promising spot, set up the tripod and just wait for the birds to show up. The tripod is doing the heavy lifting and I'm enjoying the surroundings! My tripod adds about 3lbs. to my carrying load. About the same as a few bottles of water. Not a very high price to pay in my opinion.

Take lots of shots
I think most people that look at my photos think that I only take one shot and that's the one that they are buying/looking at. Far from the truth! I take at least 6 shots of each subject at a time. Rapid fire is my friend! It does make it boring when going through a days shooting but I like having the odds on my side. On a good day my 'keeper' ratio is maybe 1:75. Really, the more the better! You will become more critical and not want to save as many photos as you gain experience.

Get Close
Just as in Real Estate, Location, Location, Location! The closer the better! I have a 500mm lens and I thought that would be enough to get the shots I wanted. Well, it did get me closer but not with the clarity I was striving for. I have that 500mm lens on the camera most of the time and still use blinds to get as close a possible. I don't think I've ever said that I was too close to a bird. I try to get so close that I have to adjust my lens or position to be able to focus. Try to fill that frame with nothing but bird! You'll love the results!

I hope these tips have helped you a bit. I know they are pretty basic but you must start with the basics to get a good base line to start with. Just remember to Be There, Be Ready, Use a tripod, Take Lots of shots and GET CLOSE!

2 comments:

  1. Of the five, I can handle two - the tripod and mulitple shots. The other three (be there, ready and close) defeat me, but after seeing the shots taken be Maiden, I'll try.

    ReplyDelete