Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Do as I say, Not as I do!

First off, let me thank the patient and very nice people at Ampcus and the entire Ampcus Metro Tigers team for a great time on Sunday! The weather couldn't have been better and you couldn't have been more welcoming. THANK YOU ALL!

Having said that, I owe you all a big apology! I should have done my HOMEWORK!

When I was asked to take pictures at a Cricket game (or is it a match?), I jumped at the offer. I didn't know the first thing about Cricket but I did know it was a sport and I've always heard it was a lot like baseball. Here's the kicker, I always preach, "DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU TRY TO SHOOT ANYTHING". I didn't do this for my Sunday shoot. I figured, it was "a lot like baseball" so how hard could it be to figure out where to stand for the best angles of the action. I learned very quickly that I was WAY out of my comfort zone on this shoot!

First off, when someone tells you that Cricket is a lot like baseball, look them straight in the eyes and give them one, quick, slap in the face while saying, "Are you on drugs?". Just kidding, but the only similar thing I saw was, a ball and a bat (not even shaped the same way).

When I arrived at the field I saw 'my team' out warming up in the middle of the field. I quickly went out to say my good mornings and announce I was ready to shoot. We took a team photo and they went back to warming up. I was making sure all my camera settings where set and started to scout out the perfect angles for the shoot. I checked the angle of the sun, the backgrounds and looked for any annoying structures to try to avoid. OK, now I was set for the days shooting. I ploped myself down just outside a blue line painted on the grass just about a three quarters angle to the main 'deck' (where the pitcher and batter stood). PERFECT spot! Beautiful dark green background with no other structures or annoying objects. I began clicking away at the team warming up. It was great! I was sure to capture all the action from this vantage point!

About 5 minutes before the scheduled start of the game (or is it match? I still don't know) the manager of the Metro Tigers came over and told me that they were going to be the ballers or maybe he said bowlers. I said, "OK", not knowing what that meant. He then informed me that I needed to be on the outside of the cones.

I had noticed a man had come by earlier placing cones about 10 feet behind me in a big circle around the entire field. I said, "OK" and moved my camera bag behind the big circle made by the cones. I'd be about 10 feet further away from the action but I brought the big lens so it was not that big of deal. He then politely said, "No, behind those cones", pointing to another set of cones that were set up about 50 yards farther back. I sheepishly said, "Oh". I knew I was not in Kansas (make that Virginia) anymore. Way out of my comfort zone now!

The Tigers took the field, 11 of them I think. In a huge circle around that main deck in the center. Then a few more people from the other team came out with the bats and I guess the game was on. I won't try to go into too much depth of the game (because I can't) but I saw the pitcher and the batter so I started shooting that interaction.  The pitcher would throw the ball and the batter would try to hit it. The fielders would catch the ball and throw it back to the center. Every now and then the batters would run from one side of the center deck to the other. I had no idea of what was going on! This went on for over an hour and a half.

Then, all the players ran off the field and sat on picnic tables that were scattered around the field. I walked over to where the Tigers were sitting on the table, drinking water and talking about the game. They saw me walking up and started asking me if I got any good shots. I said, I think so, but I didn't know what I was shooting. The manager said that they were not playing well and they where down by 123 runs! 123 runs???? Where was I when all these runs were scored. Did I get a picture of a run being scored? MAN, I wish I had done my homework!

Anyway, the next time they went out on the field they were the batters. This went on for about another hour. I took pictures of them batting from the opposite side of the field. I wasn't very happy with the background or back lighting but what can you do? A great cheer went up and the two teams went to the center of the field and shook hands. The game appeared to be over. I went out to the celebration and was informed that the Tigers had won! Was this a great comeback? Or is that the way it goes? I have no idea.

Let this be a lesson, Do as I say, Not as I do! I can't help but feel I let the team down. I didn't do my homework. I know I missed lots of shots because I had no idea of what I was shooting. The rest of this week I'm going to study up on Cricket! The next time I shoot at a Cricket match (or is it called a game?) I'm going to get a shot of a run being scored!

As I said, everyone was very nice and welcoming. They seem to like the shots that I got but I can't help but feel I could have done so much better if I would have known what was going on!

If you would like to see what I shot, here's the link to the gallery. I can only get better! And I WILL practice what I preach from now on!!!!!

http://www.virginiabird.com/Sports/Cricket/Cricket-Ampcus/11730123_GdHnC#827944783_EuxHK

No comments:

Post a Comment